Cancellations and delays
See your new flight times or manage your booking.
A change to your flight times can affect your other travel bookings. The earlier you can update them the better.
If you have a connecting flight on the same ticket, we'll do our best to make things work. That may be switching to a different flight. Keep an eye on the Air NZ mobile app.
If your connecting flight is on another airline and a different ticket, please contact the airline to see what they can do.
We understand that changes to your flights can have a big impact on your travel. It can be frustrating, but we’re here to help.
This checklist is a start. Use it to help stay in control, and to keep your travel plans on track.
Sorting out a new flight
- If your flight is delayed, there may be alternative flights that could work better for you, depending on your fare type. You can check your options online.
- If we've booked you on a different flight it will be the first available flight to get you to your destination as quickly as possible.
- If the new flight works with your plans, please confirm your seat online. We'll email you a new flight itinerary and eTicket.
- If the new flight doesn't suit, you can see your other options online and you may be able to switch to a different flight.
- We'll re-book any connecting flights on the same ticketed journey.
- If you requested a special meal and your new flight departs within 24 hours, please contact us. We'll try our best to get this on your new flight.
- If you paid for a prepaid extra bag or seat select, it may not be available on your new flight. Check your new flight information. If you're no longer able to get an extra bag, or your selected seat, we can give you a refund for those services.
During your trip
- Download the Air NZ mobile app for notifications of any changes to your flights.
- Is someone picking you up at your destination? Give them your flight number so they can check your arrival time.
After your trip
- If your baggage didn't arrive with you at your destination or if it has been damaged, please tell us so we can sort it out.
- Make a claim on your Air NZ travel insurance if something unexpected happened.
- Claim any missing Airpoints Dollars or Status Points online.
- Get in touch with us so we can improve next time.
Sometimes flights are cancelled because of bad weather or events out of our control. If this is happening to you, we’re very sorry. We know it can be an enormous disruption for your travel plans.
Unfortunately, everyone at the airport will be equally affected. We’ll be doing our best to get you where you need to be.
We’ll try to get you on the next available flight. If your new flight doesn’t work for you, you can manage your booking online to see what options are available for you.
Keep up to date with your flight on the go:
We'll do our best to have your baggage waiting for you at your final destination. In some cases, your bags may arrive after you do.
If your baggage doesn't arrive when you do, please complete a baggage claim form at the baggage services office on arrival.
If you booked the flight through Air New Zealand:
- We may be able to help, please check your flight online
If you booked through a travel agent
- Your agent is the best person to contact
- Many travel agencies have after hours emergency services if required
- Check your itinerary for their contact details
If you booked your flights direct with the other airline separately:
- Unfortunately we can’t access their systems
- Please contact them as soon as you can
- They may be able to switch you to a different flight
If you need to book a new flight for any reason, keep your receipts and boarding passes. You may be able to claim the cost on your travel insurance.